Saturday, April 28, 2012

Food Storage: Whoops I made a cheese cake


In my recent food storage organization I came across a few cans of pineapple that were just past the "best before" date.  Not wanting it to go to waste I opened the cans and popped the contents - juice and all - into freezer bags to be used in our daily smoothies over the next week or two.




I wasn't paying close attention when I was opening up the cans and in the mix was a can of cherry pie filling.  It's not something we use very often because of the amount of sugar in it but before I knew it the can was open and I was staring at pie filling instead of pineapple.


Oh dear - what to do?  Make cheese cake of course!  I had some graham cracker crumbs and a few other ingredients and voila - problem solved!


Here's the recipe I revamped from one found on the allrecipes site: Oma's Cheese Cake


Anita's Whoops I Made A Cheese Cake.


Mix 2 cups of Graham cracker crumbs with 1/4 cup melted organic butter or coconut oil.
Press into a 12inch pie pan


In a food processor mix:
1 container of organic cottage cheese
1/2 cup organic milk or almond milk or other milk substitute
2 free range eggs
3 Tbsp. of organic whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. lemon juice - fresh squeezed or bottled if that's what you have
1/3 cup agave syrup or honey


Pour the contents into the prepared pie shell.


Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour - check after 45 minutes if your oven runs extra hot - the filling should be firm.


Allow to cool.  Pour the cherry pie filling over top.  Eat immediately or refrigerate until the next day when it will taste even better and the crust will be just-the-right-kind-of-deliciously-soggy.


I love the cheese part of this cheese cake so much next time I may make it without the pie filling and add fresh fruit instead.




...so Whoops - that's how I made a Cherry Cheese Cake by mistake. 







1 comment:

Join the family - join the conversation - share your own adventures - I LOVE comments!