Thursday, December 6, 2012

Fam-Jam - No Peeking till after Christmas!!!

It's Christmastime and I'm making home-made gifts again this year. I am incredibly blessed to be the recipient of my whole villages extra canning jars - or so it seems.  I put the word out and everyone seems to know that I will take anything they have.  Along with the more modern mason jars I have several boxes of these old beauties.  Glass lidded and zinc covered - jars to swoon over! 




After admiring them for awhile I decided I could part with some of them - you know you have a serious addiction to canning jars when you have to think it over before you commit to giving them away!

I filled the jars with a mixture of Epsom salts and lavender flowers.  Apparently it smells heavenly!  I bought essential oils to add to the mixture but my daughter (aka: the family nose) says they smell better without it but we're a low-odour family partly because I have no sense of smell and partly because I have allergies to so many things I err on the side of caution when it comes to fragrance - you might like the extra lavender scent.




I mixed 5 cups of salt to one cup of flowers - it filled almost three pints.  One pint is enough for about three luxurious and relaxing baths.  I used beautiful purple wrapping paper over the glass lid and under the zinc ring to match the purple ribbon.


Epsom Salts are not really salt at all - it's actually a naturally occurring mixture of magnesium and sulfate which are easily absorbed by your skin. Magnesium plays a number of roles in the body including regulating the activity of over 325 enzymes, reducing inflammation, helping muscle and nerve function and helping to prevent artery hardening. Sulfates help improve the absorption of nutrients,flush toxins and help ease migraine headaches.  You can read more by clicking on the hyper link  In short it's really good for you.  Lavender has long been known as the relaxation scent.  Apparently just smelling it causes you to relax, helps ease migraines and can help with insomnia.   So - this gift is more than just a pretty jar - it has all those wonderful qualities as well! 

The perfect Christmas gift!

Just in case my neighbours are reading this - yes please I would still like more canning jars.

(To Whom It May Concern... I know you're reading this and I told you not to peek!!)


12 comments:

  1. What lovely gifts Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I should have given you some old jars when you were here. Remind me and I will try to bring them up after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yer coming!!!!! YES! I will remember to remind you :)

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see ya! I peeked but I won't tell the others!!! Love ya babe!!!! Xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of salt do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used epsom salts - which are available in almost any drug store/Walmart etc. Personally I buy mine in bulk to save money! I don't think there is any difference in the brands - epsom salt is epsom salt as far as I know.

      Delete
  5. Hi Anita, where do you buy your bulk Epsom salts from?
    Don't know if this will even work. Someone said that you can comment as "anonymous", if not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray, it worked; a little bumpy, but it worked!! Deb;)

      Delete
    2. Oh shoot! Also wanted to say how envious I am of your generous neighbours and their beautiful Crown jars;)

      Delete
    3. Oh awesome - you managed! I am a fortunate girl!

      Delete

Join the family - join the conversation - share your own adventures - I LOVE comments!